The Joys of Autumn in Indy
Such a brief season, but my absolute favorite! I love everything about it – sweaters, chili, stews, caramel apples, apple cider, bonfires, crunch of leaves underfoot, pumpkins, s’mores, hayrides, crisp mornings, mums and yes coach man…even football.
One of my favorite children’s books starts like this: Pumpkins round, cover the ground, vines twirl, children whirl, cool breeze blows the leaves, happy shouts are all about, time to pick a pumpkin out. Love that book. It captures my exact feelings on fall; no matter it’s from Curious George’s perspective! He’s an insightful little monkey.
Somehow I've done a great job of transferring my love of fall to the kids as well. They adore it as much as I do. That definitely makes my heart happy, because it means we can enjoy all the wonderful activities autumn has to offer as a family.
And Hancock County and surrounding does not disappoint on the wonderful family friendly fall activities!
Here are a few of my favs:
- A cozy cup of Toffee Coffee Crunch from Java Junction on Main Street to kick off a Saturday morning.
- Decorating the porch with mums from Brawners, pumpkins from Piney Acres Farm and Clyde our trusty scarecrow on a stick from Walmart.
- An afternoon at Tuttle Orchards in McCordsville, snipping u-pick sunflowers, picking apples with a red wagon in tow, enjoying the kid’s zone and sweet treats like caramel apples and pumpkin donuts.
- Visiting the Zenors out at Piney Acres Farm for our pumpkins, a hayride, a visit with the barnyard animals and trying out their newest feature Breakfast on the Farm!
- Romping through the fallen leaves in picturesque MemorialPark. Maybe snapping a family photo or two among the reds, oranges and golden yellows.
- Enjoying an evening under the Friday night lights at MV highschool and cheering for the home team.
- Having some of our friends over for a bonfire, chili with fixings and s’mores for dessert.
- Watching ND football with coach man snuggled on the couch with a pumpkin candle burning and a bowl of homemade potato soup with cheese and bacon on top.
- Enjoying family picnics and hikes at Fort HarrisonState Park.
- Making visits to Conner Scarie and ZooBoo as well.
There is so much to get out and do in around our town each autumn! What are your favorites?