Cheers to American Spirits at ISM - Opening September 20th

I So Could Have Been A Flapper

I'm fascinated by history, whether Indiana, American or World. I love to dive in and understand how people before me lived and what was important to them in their daily lives. What influenced their decisions? What did they value? How did they dress? Where did they live and work? What made them the person they were? What legacy did they leave? I know...so many questions. Can't help it. I'm inquisitive, and I adore the art of storytelling!

And storytelling is something that the Indiana State Museum does oh so very well. I could get lost within its walls for days taking in all the treasures and stories. Their newest exhibit American Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition opens September 20th and runs until February 15th, and I can't wait!

I've always been intrigued by flappers, gangsters and bootleggers. Oh what an interesting time 1920-1933 was in America and even our dear Indiana! A gangster or two passed through our very state from time to time. My quaint Fortville has a Bed and Breakfast that is rumored to have housed a prohibition-era gambling operation often visited by the legendary Al Capone! Many Hoosier's stories are weaved throughout that time frame. Billy Sunday, May Wright Sewall and Grace Julian Clarke to name a few. 



Come to think of it, I believe there has been a Halloween or two in my past where I've gone as a flapper! Yes my love affair with the flapper has been going on for years. You have to admit their outfits are just cool and the pictures you see always ooze confident American woman! They were their own woman and didn't let society define who they were to be in their daily lives. I love it! I so could have been a flapper!

To think the prohibition struggles so long ago have played a very key role in shaping the world's attitude towards alcohol today. What if alcohol was still illegal? What kind of world would it be if there were no craft brews, no small wineries, no beautiful aged bourbons? The Super Bowl commercials would definitely be different. No magnificent Anheuser-Busch Clydesdales gracing our screens. One of my favorites! I wouldn't be able to go down the street to Scarlet Lane Brewing Company with my growler and get a sampling of their newest artisan brew. No fall visits to Oliver's Winery to enjoy the scenery and a glass of wine with friends. Oh how the world would be different.





I love that the Indiana State Museum is bringing this slice of American history to us in an interactive new 5000 square foot exhibit, complete with multimedia experiences, temperance speeches, a re-creation of a speakeasy and over 100 rare artifacts from the time period. It will be as if you are right there in the middle of all the action! Who would you have been back then? A dry? A wet? A bootlegger? 

I would have been the girl in the middle to the left. Yep her!

For more info on planning your visit and ticket prices, visit the museum website. Tickets are now on sale for an after hours special Indiana Spirits event October 3rd. Special event visitors will be able to celebrate the new exhibit with a VIP Speakeasy featuring a bourbon bar and gorgeous canal terrace city views. Additionally prohibition-era themed cocktails, a vintage photo booth and live music. It's a perfect excuse for a date night out and a fun way to enjoy the Indiana State Museum after hours all dressed up!

I want to hear all about your experience when you go visit! Make sure to hashtag #ISMSpirits and follow the Indiana State Museum on FB and Twitter to keep up with all the cool and exciting exhibits!



Comments

Popular Posts