Mama Tip Tuesday and Local Fresh!

Locally sourced deliciously fresh strawberry cream pie!


Flaky crust, creamy center, strawberries with drizzled chocolate on top...

Whew it's getting hot in here! 

I've made this pie many times and my mom has also. What makes this pie the best? Ingredients grown right here in Indiana! These wonderful strawberries came from the local Fortville Farmers Market just a mile down the road from my house! The market takes place weekly, May - September, on Thursday 4-7. Stop by and get yourself a little local fresh! These wonderfully sweet juicy strawberries came from Harker Family Farms booth at the market. I couldn't just buy one pound. I bought two. I couldn't resist. 



Are they not just beautiful?! I love the small sweet strawberries. They bring me back to picking my own strawberries and making strawberry jam with with my grandmother. She still carries on this tradition of picking strawberries with my younger cousins and makes jam even at 75. Maybe this is what keeps her young?

I think just maybe! And I'm excited to announce that there is a fountain of youth in our own back yard. Yes, Piney Acres Farm, here in Fortville is at it again! Their U-Pick strawberries are just now coming in on the farm! Now is the time to start a tradition or carry on a tradition. My grandmother may be 5 hours away, but I will be thinking of her along the way while having fun with the kiddos and picking a few quarts at Piney Acres Farm with Rex Zenor and the gang. I absolutely adore how many farms, great farmers and local fresh are in our area! Here is Piney Acres Farm's strawberry season flyer for more info. They suggest calling before you head out to confirm the hours for the day and strawberry supply available that day.




               

My smallest helper ate the strawberries as fast as I could clean them!

Besides making jam, my other favorite thing to do is make my a delish strawberry pie that makes me think of my mom. I can remember getting into trouble as a youngster when I found a fresh container of Indiana grown strawberries in the fridge and well... helped myself to a few. I didn't know they were for a pie! Although after a few times of having this happen, I learned to ask before eating them. And yes, it is so worth the wait!

Here's the recipe for My Mom's (and my favorite) Strawberry Cream Pie:

Okay first off, I don't know about you, but I'm terrible at making crusts! So I keep it simple with a no roll crust.

No Roll Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp sugar 
1/2 cup veg oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all ingredients with a fork. Press into a 9 inch glass pie plate. Poke a few holes with a fork. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
Easier then rolling right?!


Let pie crust cool completely


Cream Filling
8 oz vanilla or strawberry Greek yogurt
1/3 cup sugar
8 oz whip cream
1 tsp almond extract 

Fold ingredients together. Once pie crust is cooled completely fill with cream filling.

Next, my favorite part, top with strawberries!


I like to use the biggest strawberries in the middle then work my way out filling with smaller.

Next chocolate topping!

1/2 cup semi sweet choc chips
1-2 tsp coconut oil

Pop in microwave for 25 seconds, mix, repeat till melted. Then drizzle strawberries!



So simple but impressive! You'll get raves about this pie! 





Comments

  1. Strawberries as fresh as those certainly look irresistible, especially when you turned them into pies and jams! Your little “helper” is obviously delighted with those luscious berries. I hope you have fun picking strawberries in your nearest farm!

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts