Local Fresh - Carlis' Little Ladies

I know this little farm just down the road..., well maybe I know a few farms down the road, but today it's all about eggs peeps!


I've gotten brown eggs routinely from this specific farm for almost a year now! Oh how I love their delicious farm fresh eggs. I love the rich brown beauty of the shell (it's almost like art to me) and the equally rich yolks. I don't think I'll ever go back to store bought eggs. There is most definitely a difference people. 

It was this time last year that I bought my first carton at the Fortville Farmers Market and took the farm fresh egg challenge with my own side by side comparison. I've been a believer ever since, and a proud Brawner's Greenhouse regular (and a from time to time Thomas coop regular too!).



One of my favorite parts of Brawner's, happens to be its owners, Carlis and Gail Brawner. Two of the nicest, most genuine people I've met in a long time. They truly care about their customers and the products they are providing to them. That's where Carlis' Little Ladies come into play. I once saw someone comment on Brawner's Facebook to this effect and I thought how funny to call the chickens his Little Ladies, but after spending time on the farm, I 100% understand! The Little Ladies actually flow him around, they get all excited when he is near. It like he's the pied piper of chickens or possibly their prince charming! They adore him! They are some very well cared for, loved and pampered chickens. 

Could their holistic natural farming approach possibly be why Brawner's eggs are so darn delicious?! This mama thinks so!


And it goes further than chickens, their greenhouse is amazing as well! I've heard Carlis referred to as the Willy Wonka of plants by a customer. I inquired as to why that title specifically and was advised that Brawner's plants are just so big and gorgeous that they they must have been grown in a wonderland! Just too darn beautiful and perfect to be real. What an amazing compliment from one's customer! 



I think deep down it has to do with how much both Carlis and Gail care about their farm and the products they sell. They put their all into everything that goes out their door, from eggs and plants to Christmas trees in the winter. They take great pride in their products. They are exactly the type of people that make me believe in #shopsmall and #shoplocal.

This past year their farm added a new facet, fairy gardens! I'm quite smitten with the idea of a fairy garden! I've not made one yet, but soon. I'm working on keeping things alive first. I've not been known to have the greenest thumb... mine is... well a bit black. I have some lovely basil from Brawner's on my front porch. We'll see how it does. I'd hate to add cute fairies to dance among brown dried up sad herbs. We'll see. I'll keep ya posted. Send some good gardening vibes my way.




Comments