A Brand New Fresh Year Full of Possibility

Calendar Fun

There are so many things I dislike about January - resolutions, wintry cold that never ends, less daylight, less time outside and stir crazy kiddos to name a few, but there is one thing I absolutely adore! A fresh new calendar! There is so much possibility. Months to fill with family fun. New activities to try. Events to go to. Family to see. Oh how I love a fresh new calendar!
 
I used to receive a brand new calendar as a gift from my Mother each Christmas. She would alternate between a Susan Branch and a Mary Engelbreit themed calendar. My favorite gift each year. Oh how she knew me well. I got my last one from her maybe three years ago. Over the last few years her health declined more and more, and then we lost her almost a year ago now. I bought my own this year. From Hobby Lobby right after Christmas. A Mary Engelbreit. The October was wonderful. Yes, I pick calendars based on the artwork for the month of October. Call it a personal quirk.
 
 
 
It's taken me some time to unwrap it and fill the months with wonderfulness. This year was a bit bittersweet for me, but once I finally sat down to the task, the fun and joy I always remembered was right there waiting for me. It's quite a sight at our kitchen table - laptop, lists, books and the year's beloved calendar. I pretty much take up the whole table for an afternoon.
 
I first make a list of all the usual things. The events that my kiddos have come to love and really have become a family tradition for us. Plus events that are budget friendly that we like to hit throughout the year, such as state park visits, parades, festivals, Wednesday night Cruise-Ins in downtown Fortville, Tuttle's apple picking, the local farmer's market, Target Family Night at the Indianapolis Children's Museum and the free spring kid's movies at the Goodrich Theaters. After that I start thinking about the things we wanted to do the previous year but missed and new things we've heard about and would love to try! Ashley and I even discussed our lists together this year too. Since we are Fortville Mama buds and often do events together with our families for the blog, we put our heads together for our must dos for 2014. Here is our list of new things for this year! No particular order.
  • Kammy's Kause - In it's 11th year and an amazing weekend long fundraiser full of family fun and music that takes place in Fortville each August. I can hardly believe we've never been. The heartbeat of Kammy's Kause is to reach out and help someone who's needs are greater than your own. I can't think of a better way to spend an August weekend and help support a fabulous local charitable organization doing amazing good!
  • Fortville Ball Day - Yes, my child plays baseball and we've never made it to this event! Family vacations have gotten in the way both years he has played. This year we are making this event! Who doesn't love a parade down Main Street Fortville and tons of fun in Memorial Park with food and vendor booths! The annual event is organized through the Mt. Vernon Optimists and The Fortville/McCordsville Chamber.
  • Dance for baby girl. Ashley, will your baby girls be joining us soon on this one? So fun! I never did this as child and I want baby girl to at least try it. We're already in progress too. Check. We are enrolled at Accented Motions Dance Studio in beautiful downtown Fortville, Indiana. A wonderful part of Ten West Center for the Arts, where they truly do help youth stay creative, just like their tagline says! Look at that, a TRUE tagline.
  • A local pool. There was a big lack of pool time in our life last year! We will be remedying this one this year! Either the one in Pendleton or Greenfield. Sure wish Fortville had a pool! Maybe some visits to Saxony Beach as well! Didn't do that once last year as a whole family. The shame. It's so close.
  • Wine and Canvas fun. We would so love to hang out with some of our fellow Fortville Mamas for a couple Paint Cellar and Studio 309 events. How lucky are we to have two amazing studios in Fortville!
  • First Friday Food Truck Festival Downtown! I think this one speaks for itself. Yummy food. Downtown. What's not to love? It takes place every first Friday May through October in the parking lot of Old National Centre. 25 Trucks to choose fun! Heaven.
  • More farm visits and local fresh. Fortville's Apple Family Farm is already on our list. Plus Tuttle's, Piney Acres Farm and Brawner's Greenhouse. But we also would like to do some blueberry picking this year as well and visit a lavender farm.
  • Naptown Roller Girls. Roller derby girls! What's cooler than that?!
  • Southeastway Park Bug Fest! I hear this takes place in August each year. As a homeschooling family. We are always on the lookout for fun ways to learn!
  • Riley Festival and James Whitcomb Riley Boyhood Home - Yes we live in Hancock County and have never done either of these things. The festival takes place each October on the square in Greenfield. Food, booths, familiar faces. Definitely hitting it this year!
  • St. Mark's Holy Walk Through Bethlehem. We done this one before, but last year they took a year off and we missed it so. A wonderful event that fills you with the true spirit of Christmas.
Have we inspired you? Are you ready to make your own must do list for 2014? Before you start, you better check out this fab list of 100 Things To Do In Indianapolis Before Your Kids Grow Up. It's a stellar list compiled by our friend Michelle McNally (@gotchababy) and even has two Fortville items on the list!
 
What are your must dos for 2014?
 
 

Comments