Mama Tip Tuesday! Venison Mexican Manicotti

It's deer season in Indiana!

Which means I must be sure to use any leftover frozen meat from last year and get ready for the new. Let me count the reasons why I love venison: It's almost free for us! The nutrition of the deer is free range as they forage on things in the woods. I would say the meat is pretty organic. Some people cannot phantom the idea of eating dear, but it is what I grew up eating. My dad hunts and I was lucky to marry a hunter. Bare in mind, we are highly selective only harvesting mature deer. They spend many hours in the woods, but I cannot blame them as the views are spectacular.

 
 
Filling our freezer means countless meals for our family. We make burgers, chili and use it in place of beef in so many dishes. It's ultra lean, making it perfect for many dishes, including Venison Mexican Manicotti! I want to say first that I did not completely come up with this recipe on my own. My inspiration came from here 
 
After some tweaking here is my version:
 
1 lb venison or super lean ground beef
1 16oz package manicotti 
1 16oz can black beans
1 package taco seasoning or 1/4 cup homemade taco seasoning
2 cups of water
16 oz picante sauce 
2 cups Mexican style cheese
2 cups sour cream
1 can of black olives

Preheat oven to 350. Mix venison or beef, beans, taco seasoning, and 1 cup of cheese. 

Stuff uncooked shells with mixture.


Be on the look out for little cheese thieves. 
 
Once shells are stuffed, top with picante sauce then add 2 cups of water. 
Cover with foil then cook at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. 



After an hour and a half, it will look like this. The noodles are tender and full of flavor.

Next top with sour cream, cheese, and black olives. Then slide it back in the oven 10 minutes. 

It becomes a fabulous comfort food! 





Yum!

On a side note, I had meat mixture left over. Which was made into little patties. These were great for my little ones who can't wait for dinner. Maybe lunch the next day? 



Enjoy!
 
 





Comments

Popular Posts