Mama Tip Tuesday! Old Fashioned Laundry Soap

Ever wonder how your Great Great Grandmother got her clothes so clean without modern conveniences? 


She used Lye.
Yes.
Lye.

Don't Lye to me... Lye is not the worst thing in the world. Lye should not be feared but respected. In her day, they would take ashes processed into lye mixed with animal fat to make soap. Well, we are not going to get into that much trouble.

Many people ask me why I make my soap with Lye. "Isn't it to harsh?" My answer is not if you don't know what you are doing. One of our modern day conveniences is a Lye Calculator. This will tell you if your recipe will go through a saponification. Which means once the soap is cured, it will have no trace of lye. Cool huh?

Here is the recipe I used HERE.

A few things I want to add from my own soap making knowledge that are not mentioned in the blog. Be sure to only use plastic or glass with anything that comes in contact with your soap. Metal can cause a reaction with the lye. Never use tin, zinc or aluminum. Wear rubber gloves, goggles and long sleeves and an apron to protect your skin. It is also a good idea to wear a breathing mask considering lye can put off fumes. Make sure you are making soap in a well ventilated area!



Everything you put in your soap should be measured by a scale (preferably digital). Remember, everything should be measured in weight not volume. I used lard from the store but you could use coconut oil, bacon grease (also lard) or Crisco. However, check the lye calculator to make sure your using the correct amount.


After mixing (DAY 1)

After day 3

Day 3 ( getting it good and mixed)

My trusty stick blender


Lastly, I added orange essential oils! Every time I do laundry it smells like an orange cream-sickle! So far it has made my cloths so soft, clean and fresh! Without needing softener! I love it! Best of all, it's inexpensive! 




Comments